As the last week of voting takes place in Outside magazine’s “Best Place to Live” contest, with Provo, Utah and Duluth, Minnesota going head-to-head in the final round (vote daily at voteduluth.com!), I thought I would share my Top 10 reasons why Duluth, Minnesota is the Best Town and deserves your vote. Let’s begin:
1. The excitement of watching those 1,000-footers go through the canal and under Duluth’s Lift Bridge never gets old.
2. You can experience the thrill of releasing a raptor from Hawk Ridge. Visit with the Hawk Ridge Bird Observatory staff and volunteers during fall migration season and learn about raptors. Make a donation, “adopt” a hawk or passerine, and help release the newly banded bird with the beauty of Lake Superior as your stage.
3. As I shared on my Facebook page, where else can you get teens out the door and on the water by 8:00 a.m. every weekday for most of the summer? The Duluth Rowing Club’s Juniors program makes it happen.
4. During the holidays, the outdoor fun continues with Bentleyville, the “Tour of Lights” at Bayfront Festival Park.
5. There’s enough room for everyone, and everyone tries to get along.
6. Duluth supports a world-class marathon, Grandma’s Marathon: Fresh Air, Fresh Water, Fresh Race.
7. Skiing at night under the lights at Lester Park is magical — the crisp, cold silence of the woods broken only by the hooting of an owl, or the swish of skis as they cut through the fresh snow. Miles and miles of ski trails, just blocks from almost any neighborhood in the city.
8. Do you like to run? bike? hike? Have we got options for you! The joy of the trails is found throughout Duluth, all year long.
9. We know all sorts of ways to have fun when it’s a long winter. You may recall my winter post on blowing frozen bubbles, tossing boiling water … over 70 days of sub-zero temps in one season?! Bring it on!
10. Because every sunrise is beautifully unique …
… and the moonrises aren’t bad, either.
I could go on, but you need to vote …. voteduluth.com. Spread the word and #VoteDuluth!
Ciao! ~ Kat B.